- WZ, DZ and IZ areas of up to 1500-2000m elevation.
- 1000-4000mm annual rainfall.
- Temperature : 230-280 C ( can tolerate temperatures as high as 450 C )
- Warm and wet weather favors in flowering.
- Flowering is affected in heavy rain periods.
- Soil- adapted to wide range of soil. pH -4.5- 9.0
- Well drained organic matter rich sandy to clay loam soil.
- Slight tolerance to salinity & water logging.
- Tolerant to drought.
Production of planting materials
- Grafted plants are used in commercial cultivations.
- Extra seeds from well ripen fruits and dry them in a shady place.
- Saw seeds in a sand nursery.
- Germination takes place 2-3 weeks.
- Transfer the seedlings of 4cm, into poly bags of 15cm in height (plotting mixture of 1:1:2 top soil: sand: cow dung.
- Then transfer to poly bags of 25cm height.
- Grafting can be done after 5-7 months (stem thickness of 1cm).
- Spacing 5-6m – 5-6m.
- Planting hole – 60*60*60cm.
- 2 weeks prior to planting fill the planting hole using top soil and cow dung or compost.
- Add basal fertilizer in 2-3 days prior to planting.
- Supply shade during first 2 weeks of establishment.
- Practice watering until plant is established at the field and do weeding around the plant base.
- Mulches also can apply to control weeds.
Training and Pruning
- Main erect trunk of the young plant is cut back to about 60cm – 75 cm above the ground and allows 3 or 4 lateral shoot.
- These laterals are allowed to develop to about 25-30 cm long and then pruned, to form secondary branches which will carry most of the fruits.
- Pruning is done time to time on water shoots and suckers arising from the base of the rootstocks.
- Guava Plants are maintained at height of 1.8- 3m.
- Bearing commence in seedlings – 2 years after planting.
- Grafted plants – 1.5 years after planting.
- Flowers born in leaf axils, perfect flowers 4-5 petals and many stamens.
- Flower opens 5-7 am self and cross pollinated.
- Pollination by bees.
- 120- 150 days from flowering to harvesting of fruits.
- Fruits – many seeded berry.
- Thing out the excessive fruits leaving 1-2 fruits per bunch.
- At harvesting fruits color turns from deep green color into yellowish green color.
- Yield from well managed grafted plant after 6-8 years, 40-50kg/year.